Thursday, February 20, 2014

Southern Hospitality

Over the past several months, I have been stirred to cultivate & engage in meaningful community. After years of networking, I long for more meaningful, deep relationships that transcend greetings and facilitating superficial connections.  Don't get me wrong, there is a place for networking and it can be a way to initiate community.  But when I think about our modern society, something strikes me as more than odd in the way that we can continue in long-time relationships, never really understanding more than the causes we stand for & the basic information we'd list on our Facebook profile.

So while I'm in the midst of my season as a homemaker, I recognize the blessing of being able to invest more time with my children and serve my husband more readily, but I also see the responsibility of serving others outside of my own little bubble through the blessing of one-on-one service.  The kind were you get to know people instead of an organization.  With the intentions of serving specific needs--whether it's the basic physiological need of food or the deeper need of friendship or belonging through a meal and hosting gatherings at our home, we have kicked off this year with a couple of special days.

In early January, we invited our neighbors over to an open house modeled after the idea of a Neighborhood Cafe.  It was a great time with several new relationships initiated.  We hope to host another Springtime gathering outdoors in April.

Thanks to some friends at church, we hosted a last-minute, kid-friendly Super Bowl party.  Sad to say, there was not much entertainment on the tube, but the kids provided plenty of action.  We really enjoyed the night and we were grateful to host.

This week, we are hosting a French exchange student and having my first Super Moms Supper Club all in one week.  Timing was a little off due to weather, but I'm excited to see how they turn out.  The goal is simply to serve and observe what God can do through His love.

As I engage in living out Christ's love through the notion of Southern Hospitality, I am reminded of the way that my Grandmother had an open-door policy and a ton of messy and beautiful relationships.  I hope that 2014 will be a year of open doors & broken down walls.  

No comments:

Post a Comment