Friday, February 14, 2014

Be Refined Valentine

Love was tough long before we met.  The products of two broken marriages, we had never seen an Ephesians 5:33 marriage.  But I did know a lot about marriage.  Like many American girls, by the time I was old enough to spell the word "love" I had watched movies, read books, heard stories, listened to songs.  My mind was full of information about love & marriage.

So when you told me you loved me almost 6 years ago to the day, my heart fluttered like it was supposed to. Then the following year, we would enter into the world of "Happily Ever After." But even before we said "I do," layers of my modge-podged fairy tale castle were ripped off, leaving lots of pieces everywhere.  

Unsure of what to think or feel since my storybook had been ripped apart by the reality of relationship built with irrelevant and ineffective tools, I started digging into the Word where I remembered the truest love story ever created.  A story of perfect, flawless love giving, serving, forgiving, encouraging.  

After almost 5 years of marriage, I have learned that our love wasn't born out of romance. True love was found in the process of being refined; chiseling off the pieces of us and allowing pieces of Him to shine.  Breaking apart the hardened, petrified parts is uncomfortable and sometimes painful.  Sometimes submitting seems like I'm losing a part of me.  Being humble is not easy.  But what comes out of the refining process is a rare gem that is lovely and carries value-not a weighty rock that can't even scratch the surface.  

Yes, love wasn't born out of romance, but in the refining process, we've created our own romance.  There is depth to it.  It's genuine & significant.  

Happy Valentines Day dear lover!  May we continue to be refined & reflect His brilliant light!

No comments:

Post a Comment