Friday, November 29, 2013

30 Days of Gratitude:Less Buyer's Remorse, More Meaning

Day 29

I waited until the end of the night because frankly I felt like a cloud hung over me all. day. long.   I know, I know.  It's the opposite of grateful to stay in a funk all day long when there are so many things to be joyful about.  BUT, consumerism seems to bring out the worst in me.

I don't mind shopping.  I just don't like shopping retail.  So one could imagine that Black Friday would be my dream day.  Guess again, Black Friday is a retail drug disguised as a frugal fiesta.  Ordinarily happy, decent people morph into contestants from the Hunger Games as they gear up to ensure that they get the BEST deal possible--even if they don't need the stuff.  (then again, what do we REALLY need in America?)

Fortunately, I made it through the day without buying ANYTHING.  No groceries, no bills, nothing.   No buyer's remorse feels great!  No additional debt or clutter feels terrific.

Granted, I do have gifts to purchase (we draw names for the kids in both families and get gifts for our moms) and I look forward to crafting some special gifts as well.  Also, I look forward to narrowing down the three special gifts we will get for the kids.

Less is more.

I am praying that my kids will recognize that giving time & talents can be just as meaningful as exchanging commodities.  These lessons will be our primary gifts to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment