Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Remembering 9/11

Where were you when the world stopped turning on that September day?



I was sitting in an American History class in high school while tragic history was being made.  The first plane hit the tower and everyone was shocked, then the next tower was attacked and we all were scared & hurt.  I was too young to fully understand the gravity of the situation.  Transitioning from reading about wars in American's early history to the makings of a war unfolding right before our eyes was very sobering.  It was sad.  I was confused.  But as the day unfolded, I witnessed amazing courage and I was so proud to be an American!

I was proud of the Americans who risked their lives to save others.  I was proud to be in a nation that came together as a family to stand up for justice & freedom.  Little did I know that several of the friends in that same school building would choose not to go to college and pursue the "American Dream." They would just to protect the American Dream by signing up to be heroes pursuing justice and defending freedom halfway across the world.


Fast forward eleven years.  Division in our nation is at an all-time high.  News of the attack at Benghazi  felt like another hard blow on an already somber day.  Surprisingly, our nation lacked the fervor for justice.  In fact, there wasn't very much coverage of the event at all & little action was taken to save lives of Americans representing diplomacy.

And this year, we're on the verge of a potential war with a nation that could involve siding with terrorists to make a point.  Have we forgotten already?

While I'll readily admit, I'm not as informed about these grave matters as I should be because I honestly question the info-tainment that our news sources have become.  With all the division in our country, I wonder if we still remember that we are still on the same team, in a nation that we're so blessed to live in.

But I do know that the same heroism in our nation exists still today.  As a wife of a first responder, I watch him don his uniform and head out in to the unknown with his team, ready to do what it takes to serve & protect.  I know soldier friends who have lost limbs and friends and would give their life if it meant keeping our country free & defending our constitutional rights.

We still live in the greatest nation on earth.  We are neighbors with some of the world's best heroes.  Remember the bravery.  Shouldn't we treat our soldiers with the utmost respect & honor.

Remember the hope in the midst of the darkness.  Remember the unity.

We are strong, we are free. We are the most blessed nation in the world!  God bless America!

No comments:

Post a Comment