Thursday, June 13, 2013

Career by Design: Thoughts on A Woman's Paradox

This infographic resonated with me on several different points.  I also noticed some statistics that were surprising as well.

35% of Men are more likely to take a break.  I can attest that with my own situation, this was very true.  I was often seen walking swiftly around the office trying to cram in as much work as possible.  Lunch was at my desk or with potential clients or committees 4 out of 5 days.  I didn't take a maternity leave until my 3rd child was born.

Also, the graphic of the corporate ladder is staggering.  Not, just for women, but for business.  Just think about the value that corporations could receive with more women in the mix at the top.

What surprised me most were the statistics on the SAHM side.

  • Just 13% of SAHMs regret giving up their career
  • 15% of SAHMs resent their partner for being the one to go back to work after the birth of a child
  • 19% of SAHMs said that they would be happier if they worked outside of the home. 
These are surprisingly low as well--and I think that is a good thing.  It appears that being a SAHM may be more fulfilling than what is projected in today's culture.  

In my Career by Design journey, I am hoping to discover ways to help the reasons behind why
  • 47% of working moms would be happier if they didn't work
  • Almost half of Working Moms want to stay at home; and
  • Almost half of Stay at Home Moms want to work.
And, to offer a solution to these moms.  



A Woman's Paradox
Source: Great Business Schools

No comments:

Post a Comment